Yes, it is possible to do a cruise with a baby but you need to check first if they have the minimum age required depending on the shipping company and the selected destination. There are many companies that do not establish age limits, but other shipping companies set a minimum age requirement which is typically between six months and one year. Aboard the ship has usually enabled areas and specific activities for babies.
It is very important for parents to include in their luggage all the utensils the baby will need. Some cruise lines offer services and specialized tools, but it is safer to carry whatever is necessary. In the case of baby food, sometimes, even if you hire an all inclusive package, it is not included and must be paid separately. This aspect should be checked beforehand to avoid an unexpected outlay. Some cruise lines have babysitters, but it is necessary to check this information. Activities for children typically start from 3 years old.
The size of the cabin is important if you are traveling with babies. Their utensils will occupy many space. You must verify that you have hygiene items for the baby. Usually, you can request a crib for the baby as in hotels.
Accessibility is important also in the scales. You should contact your agency to ensure that access and ramps are suitable for baby buggies.
On many occasions, before going on a cruise you have to take a plane. In these cases, it should take into account the safety regulations at airports affecting baggage. You can not take containers with liquids over 100 ml. However, the baby food is no exception. We must separate luggage transport. The water bottle must buy once past the security checkpoint. You can not access it.
There are companies that offer discounts for babies and even free trips. But it is important to check exactly what they mean when they talk about free of charge. Likewise, there is usually specialized medical service onboard.
It is important to bear in mind when traveling with babies that it is mandatory to be extremely protective regarding the sun, because the mirror effect of the sea increases the risk of burns. You should use sunscreen, sunglasses and hats.
Similarly, when traveling with children under 15, it is important that they have their own document. Moreover, in certain countries may be additional requirements that you should check with local authorities, embassy or consulate. Baby age allowed by different companies:
- Aranui: There is no minimum
- Azamara: 6 months minimum (1 year in certain destinations)
- Carnival: 6 month minimum (12 months in Europe)
- Celebrity: 6 months minimum (1 year in certain destinations)
- Compagnie du Ponant: 6 month minimum
- Costa Cruceros: 6 months minimum (1 year in certain destinations)
- Croisieurope: There is no minimum
- Cunard: 1 year minimum
- Holland América: 6 month minimum
- Iberocruceros: 6 month minimum
- MSC Cruceros: 6 month minimum
- NCL: 6 month minimum
- Paul Gauguín: 1 year minimum
- Politours: No hay mínimo (consultar según destino)
- Princess Cruises: 6 month minimum
- Pullmantur: 6 month minimum
- Royal Caribbean: 6 months minimum (1 year in certain destinations)
- Regent Seven Seas: 1 year minimum
- Star Clippers: 6 month minimum
- Silversea: No babies allowed (unless certain exceptions)